If you know your mom is coming to visit, you clean your house.
If you know the IRS is coming to audit, you get things in order.
If you know the Cable Guy is coming (anytime between 9-noon!!), you have arrange your schedule to be home for it.
We all understand the concept “being ready” for a visit that we know is coming. In Matthew 24-25, Jesus reminds us of the Visitation that is unmistakable. The Coming of the Son of Man at the end of time is not a “maybe-maybe not” scenario. He is coming.
The only unknown is the When. (Read Matthew 24:36-25:13 – that is the theme of this portion: “be ready for he is coming at a day and an hour you are not aware.”)
Our stance in daily life, then, has got to be one of vigilance, faithfulness and preparation.
Consider the following areas of our lives, and how you can grow in preparing yourself today so that you can look Your Savior in the eyes at his coming! Unashamed. Joyfilled. Use the following to do an “audit” of your life.
- Affections – what is it that you love and long for more than anything? Are you cultivating your heart to be more consumed with Jesus?
- Practices or Habits – what is it that you spend your time doing? Which of the things you listed are redemptive, which are neutral, and which draw you away from godliness?
- Speech – how God-honoring are the words that come out of your mouth?
- Decisions – do they reflect God’s priorities? Do they strain toward “putting to death my sinful nature” & walking in the Fruit of the Spirit.
- Sin – are you giving room in your life for things you know are wrong? “It’s just my little peccadilo”. NO! Do battle against sin that so easily entangles us. Also, are you asking God to show you your blind-spots and hidden errors?
- Confession – how often do you seek God’s forgiveness? His power? His Priorities? How often do you throw yourself on his mercy?
- Praise – when was the last time you simply told God (in speaking, writing or singing) how great he is and why?
Watch the Lord make you more like Christ, and make your life more fulfilled, as you address these areas in your life seriously!